Crooked Edge Waterfall
A narrow waterfall where the Crooked Edge Brook meets the River Douglas.
Located in Tiger's Clough.
The Tiger's Clough ravine, a local beauty spot, once known as Shaw's Clough, was formed by the action of a glacier at the end of the last ice age.
A prehistoric tool was discovered at the clough in 1946 by a Mr Southworth, a local man, whilst on a stroll through Tigers Clough, he collected a six inch long stone, shaped in to an axe head, from the bed of a river, the stone was shaped into an axe head. The find was examined in 1962 and realised to be a Neolithic artefact dating from circa 2500BC. The axe head is now on display at Bolton Museum.
The clough is believed to derive its name from an illegal drinking establishment that once occupied a site near to the Knoll Bleach Works in the nineteenth century, which had two tigers displayed on a sign outside. The exact location of The Tigers has been lost, but there is a convincing location just downstream of the old bleach works where stone rubble can still be seen.
There are several other, smaller waterfalls and a footpath winds through the wood.